The Nightingale Submissions
We publish once every other week.
Starting 2020 we will be publishing work that replies to our monthly Nightingale prompts. Check back each month for a new prompt!
Our submissions are on hiatus for the serialization. Check back in 2020!
Awakened Voices Issue Submission Guidelines
Before submitting, please read our criteria and guidelines.
Please note that we publish bi-annually, and we’ll do our best to respond in a timely fashion.
- Writing must be on the topic of sexual violence.
- Writers who identify as survivors of sexual violence are strongly encouraged to submit work.
- Writers who do not identify as survivors of sexual violence may submit work; however, we do reserve the right to decline your submission if it does not comply with our mission as a literary magazine dedicated to healing from sexual violence.
- All submissions to our themed issues must be submitted one month before the issue will be published.
- If you are submitting a piece unrelated to a themed issue, we accept rolling submissions.
- We accept any type of writing.
- We accept profanity.
- We encourage a short author biography.
- We cannot pay our writers at this time, but we will be strong advocates for your work.
- We reserve the right to make edits for typos, clarity, and grammar corrections.
- If you have any requests regarding formatting or layout please include them in the comments field.
- We accept submissions of both unpublished and previously published works.
- We will do our best to read and respond to your piece in 4 – 8 weeks depending on staff workload.
Our submissions for magazine issue #10 will open December 2019 and be open until January 31st, 2020. Please send your submissions through submittable.
Questions about the submission process or guidelines? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org